Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Great afternoon at the range.....


Went to the range today. Decided to just shoot steel. Was very dead today and they had fresh paint on the targets. The big target is 15 yards away, the round one on the spring loaded post is a bit closer, maybe 13 yards. The further targets are 25, 30, 35, 40 with a 50 yd backstop. And I do push left when shooting




Can't say I was trying to make a smiley, but it sure looks like it. 15 yards.


One .40 box was half full. Plus I shot a full mag of RA9124TA. I'm sure the M&P9 is going to work. It is near 800 rounds with no problems at all. 200 hollow points between the elcheapo Wally world Remingtons and the Ranger ammo. I seriously feel like the 9mm +P social cartridges shoot just like the .40 loads. Maybe my 6'5", 250 lb frame helps with the .40.


The 165 grain .40 WWB was fun- flat nose, looks like a hollow point. By the end, I was hitting better with the M&P357 (40 barrel) than I was with the federal 115 9mm. Dry firing is paying off immensely. And the High Standard 1911? It was an absolute beast with the Federal round nose. By beast I mean ding, ding, ding. I would hit twice, change targets 2 shots, change back. For the most part it was deserted, so I was moving around, crouching behind the range tables, gun pointed downrange when moving, of course. Makes up for not being able to put targets at 5 or 10 yards.

 One guy showed up just to run some handloads. He let me shoot his slicked up STI Trojan. I hit all but one target; that one was a quick double tap. That thing was wicked and I felt like a complete bad ass hitting different targets in quick secession, further and further away, with a gun that was literally handed to me.

I kept both eyes open for 95% of my shots. Caught myself twice shooting with one eye shut. I really think that plus the dry firing has improved my shooting. May be time for a class next year. Now I just need to stop pushing left so much. At least the milk can target is smaller than a standard silhouette target.

No comments: