Thursday, April 5, 2012

6.8, now with extraction!

Today went out and shot the 6.8 SOTA upper with the o-ring around the extractor spring. No extraction problems. These were shot at a bench, seated or kneeling, with no rest other than my elbows on the bench, at 50 yards. And not much more sight picture discipline beyond, f... it, looks like it's on the bullseye, bang. This is not my final scope solution- just the make sure it goes bang one. My goal is low at 50, 100 straight on. Or 200 straight on. Haven't decided. Need to decide scope or Aimpoint PRO.



The range had some firewood hanging with the bowling pins. I asked the Range Officer if I could shoot the 6.8 at the wood. He looked at me and said, "Only if I can too, and don't hit my damn steel with it." So, of course, on the first shot I blew the 25 yard chunk of wood clean off its eyebolt. Must have split it- it was screwed with the grain, not across it. The 50 yard chunks didn't blow apart, but rocked and/or spun pretty hard with the 110 grain S&B and Hornaday.

The ASC 15rd mag was a pain to seat and feed the first round with the bolt closed. I was only loading 5 at a time. I also used my 20 round Bushmaster mag loaded to 5 max, it was more reliable loading.


My M&P40c had a FTEx with the 10+1 loadout I'd been carrying the past 2 weeks. First round didn't extract, slide grabbed another round. Fixed it and all 10 left shot fine, plus 3 more full mags of range ammo. Funny, I was there to shoot a used old G22 3rd gen I had picked up (Shocked face! Different brand of Kool-aid! And not the hive approved 9mm!) in a trade with a guy I work with (calm down dear). It shot fine, I didn't. Not shooting pistols for 2 months makes me shoot like crap.


No comments: