Saturday, January 14, 2012

M&P compact grip spacer issue.

I noticed both M&P compact models using fullsize magazines with fullsize mag grip spacers had issues seating the magazines. Even empty. Originally, I only had the X-Grip spacer and the 40c. I chalked it up to experience, put the spacer in the the pile of parts, and shot without it on the mag. The Talo edition with the factory grip spacer fell into my lap recently. It was a bear to seat, worse than the X-grip. I went for it because, one, I have 2 extra 9mm compact mags from the 9mm barrel attempt on the 40c. Two, I have a fullsize 9mm to feed and the spacer comes right off. Three, they knocked the price down from 500 to 425 while I fumbled with it. Within my herd of fullsize magazines I have a pair of the old style round button baseplates; the other 7 are new style rectangular tab baseplates. On a whim, I put the spacer on the old style baseplate mags. Works perfectly. On either compact. Put the spacer on any other mag, it takes extra force to lock it in and does not audibly click home. And yes, there is a mix of 40 and 9 mm mags shown. They all mount up the same because the frames are identical.

New vs Old
Carry Mag


New Style Baseplate
Old Style Baseplate

1.114" New Style 9mm
1.126 New Style 40















Spacer Height

Old Style Plate-1.158 Sorry it washed out



With the tightest mag clearance being just over the height of the spacer, it makes sense that they are hard to seat. The mags go in a little further before the mag release catches them, then sit lower once seated. Also, and my crappy photos don't show it, it does not sit straight on the new style plates. So I most likely will just mod the adapter a little to use it with the new style mags. Or just leave the goofy thing alone and not use it. I've gotten used to the 2 finger grip now.  I sure as heck do not want the spacer causing reload issues in the heat of the moment. Plus it would just be in the way if I need the mag as a spare for the fullsize gun.

No comments: