Sunday, January 29, 2012

Range time. With moving pictures. Updated

Update below!

Took the CMMG adapted AR back to the range with my M&P 9c and the LCP. 24 degrees out today. The AR went about 400 rounds, give or take, with a few misfeeds (mostly on the Black Dog magazines) until it stopped working.  It looks like what happened is the pin that holds the extractor in moved down slightly, and is contacting on the rails that the bolt runs on. I was running it dripping in lube, so it was a sloppy black mess. I may need to stake the upper part of the pin to keep it from moving down.

 The LCP fired off the 2 mags of carry ammo just fine. Had a fail to eject with the nasty UMC Rem bulk pack. Basically douched the gun as it was pretty dry, and it ran 25 rounds without incident.

 I took some 9mm NATO my lovely wife picked up for me, and the last 50 out of a box of UMC Rem el cheapos. With the 9c, I was hitting the dueling tree 1/2 the time or better- almost blew one target off(designed to) with the NATO. Blew half the case off of a hanging bowling pin. Then I switched to the Rem el cheapo. I flat nailed one 40 yard target (9 for 10) with the one miss hitting a target just to the right from my line of aim. So I broke out the phone camera. Bring on the suck.



I was out of 9mm ammo after this. So I went back to the AR and discovered it had pooped itself, or I would have some video of that too.
--Update below--

The kit is working now. I pushed the pin out, cleaned it up, tried to dent it, put it back in and it seemed to hold. Went back to the range. (twice in one day- haven't done that since the 90's) Talked to the gunsmith at Olofsons, he mushroomed the head of the pin. I went out and proceeded to run 300+ rounds through it with just the odd misfeed and two of them failed to fire, neither would fire a second time.

 Ran more through the 9c; it is up to 580 rounds without a cleaning or problem. I so cleaned the dirty thing. It's a carry gun, not a range beotch- though it is accurate enough. Ran the 40c's carry ammo, bang every time and accurate to boot. Shot some Federal 180 grain through both M&P's. Shot like a putz. Shot the 40c better than the 357 w/40 barrel. Even with the stubby mag.

My thumbs hurt like hell. Too many rounds loaded today.

No comments: