Sunday, August 26, 2012

Mosin Recoil Pad Review

Swung by the range Saturday to try out the custom modification to my 1943 Mosin-Nagant. I'm getting tired of sore shoulders after shooting, and this rifle seems to shoot well. I installed a Remington Supercell pad on it. PN 19471, meant for a wooden stocked 870/1100.

I also have this pad on an 870. I have a Limbsaver on my 500, but chose the Supercell primarily because I was going to hack the living crap out of it, and it was cheap. I've never liked the slip on pads, so this one was it. The wooden stock version is flat on the edge, and has some flex to match the Mosin.




Wow. Talk about recoil reduction. Blasted 20 rounds of Brown Bear 174 grain ammo as fast as I could get it back on target. I wasn't sitting there on the last five shots thinking, "okay, you masochistic SOB, why again are you shooting this thing again?" I highly doubt Remington will make one to custom fit the Mosin, but they should.



I don't think that I can sand this to fit. I don't see the advantage to doing much more to it, other than adding material at the top to keep the pad from catching on clothing









I melted the holes with a soldering iron, as the material is very resistant to the screws. The extra hole was me attempting to use measure once, cut twice method.















50 yard target- Darkotic targets are fairly waterproof, as it was raining while I was shooting. I wasn't the only one at the range in the rain, either. Just like I wasn't the only one shooting in 0 degree weather last winter.

No comments: