Monday, November 19, 2012

Ahh, traffic engineers

Ankeny is getting a new exit off of I-35 to reduce congestion at the other three exits. One of which is unusable 90% of the time because it has stop signs instead of traffic lights, and is designed to be the "industrial exit" that trucks can't make a turn at. Because the geniuses behind traffic calming won't put in a traffic light until the number of deaths, serious injuries, or property damage hits some magic number. Did I mention it has the new look bridge that everywhere else in Des Moines have No Right on Red signs because of the non-existent sight lines?

So what does the new exit have sitting at the bottom of it? Stop signs. Seriously, you spend $35 million, move 2 rest areas, move the whole interstate 200 yards east, and can't spring for a set of lights?

2 comments:

Angus McThag said...

I just used 69 when I went to Ankeny. That way you knew you'd be in a murderous rage when you got there from traffic rather than having some hope that things would be OK from I-35 to DMACC on Oralabor.

Robert Fowler said...

The only reason I ever go to Ankeny is when I need something from Sportsman's Warehouse. I usually cut across and go up Deleware. I hate trying to get off at Orolabor (sp) and get across.