Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Factory 6.8 Teardown

Well, if I can't shoot the factory S&B surplus 6.8 SPC ammo, I sure as hell am going to take one apart and see what it is made of.

OAL 2.224"

30.2 grains of ball powder.

Bullet weighed in at 110.4 grains

Case was 119 grains with the primer in it.

This was with a Hornaday scale, whatever the basic scale part number is, so take those with a grain of salt.

This only took 3 hits with an inertia puller to dislodge. I've had to beat the ever loving hell out of most of my reloads that I crimp to dislodge a bullet.

4 comments:

Robert Fowler said...

Remember that the tighter the crimp, the higher the pressure. Of course I don't think you can crimp one tight enough to raise the pressure to unsafe levels. If it takes more than 3 or 4 good whacks with a inertia puller, you might want to ease up just a little.

JD Rush said...

I use the Lee factory crimp dies. Only one crimp has made me really nervous, and no primers looked funny that time. And some of those bullets I was pulling got seated really deep- forgot to adjust the die when changing bullets. :)

Angus McThag said...

Why can't you shoot it? Is there something wrong with it?

JD Rush said...

Time. Work is currently from dawn til dusk. I will try it this weekend.